Sunday, February 28, 2010

Crack! Crunch. Schlup. Tink, tink, tink.

I love the sounds of breaking ice. I don't know why. Maybe it is the inner rebel in me loving the sounds of things being broken to bits. Whatever the reason I love it.

Today is this beautiful, bright and sunny day. I would not say it is warm exactly since the high was supposed to be 28, but the sun makes you feel warm anyway. I had to revel in the beauty so I took Nisswa for a walk.

It would be really hard to guess who was the most playful, the black lab who is still a bit puppyish, or me. She took every opportunity to run she could find, chasing any scent or imaginary animal she could detect beneath the abundant snow. Once we got out of town (which incidentally takes about 3 minutes if I take the long way) I let her off her leash to run, chase, dig, roll, and eat snow to her heart's content.

I, on the other hand, looked for every clear patch of ice visible so that I could stomp on it and make those delightful noises! Today the beauty of those noises was in the change from even just last week. Today they sounded much more like the spring cracking that you hear as the ice begins to melt under the power and intensity of the sun. Today each crack and crunch held the promise that the patch of ice would not remain ice for long. Even knowing that March may hold piles and piles of snow within its deceptive days, we can rest assured that the promise of Spring has been heard in the stillness and sunshine of today.

The storms of winter are behind me, and the storms of spring are yet to come, but for today I am reminded of Elijah hearing God in a still small voice after earthquakes, fires, and storms. For me, it was just a distinctive crunch, in the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment