Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I Need a Hero

I watched the movie 'Doubt' last night.
I found it to be an engaging film, but in what I found to be a disturbing way. It definitely has a postmodern edge to it. Truth is obscured by the point of view from which it is seen, and the raw human-ness of the characters keeps the viewer not sure who they like and who they dislike. It is the opposite of the comic-book type movie that has been so common throughout the history of film. There is no hero in this movie. No one person working for the good of the others. Instead there are many people doing both good and bad, often for their own good, not for the good of others. In short it is a pretty accurate read on human actions.
'Doubt' is brilliantly acted. All of the actors did phenomenal jobs. Incredibly believable. It pulls the viewer in and makes you struggle and think. It is an excellent film.
But I need a hero. I need to believe that people can at times put aside their own needs for the common good. I need to see examples of people through whom the light of Christ shines.
This does exist. We know it does. How many examples have we seen of real life stories where people do this? Even if a story is merely a work of fiction I need to know that we as a human race have not lost hope in the good of humanity. I need to see that we as humans have not lost hope in the ability of God to work in this world.
It is not that I am still looking for my hero. I long ago found my hero in the person of Jesus Christ. I just need to see that others in the world are still searching for Jesus. After all what is the movie hero other than a pale reflection of Christ and his saving act? Movies, literature, art, so many of are pop-culture events, are the result of a search for truth, purpose, hope, and salvation.
For Christians these searches lead us right back to God. And our command in this world is to help others find the answer.
Art like 'Doubt' presents an answer that lacks hope. It lacks salvation and redemption. It presents this world as all there is. A 'this is it' mentality that tells us that good and bad are relevant to a person's view of the world. I suppose for people of this world that is true. But for people of God, there is so much more.
We are not lost in a world where 'this is it'. We live in a world of hope. There is hope in the good of the Heavenly Father, for God alone is good (Mark 10:18). There is hope in the good of the Kingdom of heaven that is yet to come. And there is hope in the brief glimpses of that Kingdom that shine their light on us here in this world. We see it all the time. In the face of the child who gives something of theirs to a person in need. In the forgotten pages of history where enemies helped each other. In the amazing stories that come out of despair. The nun who brings a face to the faceless. The country that unites peacefully to save thousands from concentration camps. (Denmark) The desperate alien who stays with the helpless accident victim, knowing it means deportation. The community of mere hundreds that raise thousands to help people in need. There are glimpses all around of hope, of truth, of redemption. It is real.
As wonderfully created and acted as 'Doubt' may be, it is not 'good'. It's lack of hope comes from people that do not know they need a hero.
I need a hero. And I praise God everyday that I do.

1 comment: