Monday, January 3, 2011

I preached a great sermon yesterday.
Well I participated in a great sermon yesterday.
Actually there was a little idea on the workingpreacher.org website that I held up to the congregation, and it was a wonderful cooperative time of learning.
I had very little to do with it.

However it was such a neat insight that I wanted to share it with you.

Buried in one of the commentaries that I read was a simple statement alluding to the idea that we focus so much on Jesus during the season of Christmas that we do not look at what we learn about God the Father through God the Son.1

The idea really struck me as being very relevant. Don't we learn about parents by watching their children? As a former teacher I know that to be very true. Isn't that why we try to distance ourselves from the disisions they make that we don't like. True I don't have children of my own, but I can still see this behavior in myself. Even with my nieces I do this. Just the other day I found myself saying to another person in the play area at the mall, "They dressed themselves today." Effectively saying, "I had nothing to do with that clothing choice."

Of course in reality I did. I have always encouraged them to feel free to voice their opinions and preferences with me. (If I now regret that at times, I have no one to blame but myself.) Yet in 15 years, when they are able to speak their mind, and have the confidence to stand up to opposition, I will be proud that I helped influence that ability in them.

Yes, we can learn a lot about the adults in a child's life by watching that child.

The same can be said of Jesus. Isn't that the very reason that He was sent to this world, to reveal the very real presence of God in our lives? We learn about God the Parent through watching God the Son. The compassion, the sacrifice, the unending, redeeming, unconditional love that Christ shows in His life, that come through the John 1:1-18 passage about Christ are reflections of the love of the heavenly Father.

Yes we can learn a lot about God the Parent by looking at God the Son.
I encourage you to spend the next three years looking at the lectionary through that lens.

Blessings and Wonder be yours this year!

1. Lewis, Caroline. Commentary on Second Reading for January 2, 2011, Ephesians 1:3-14. workingpreacher.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment