Thursday, April 8, 2010

Balance

Recently I heard someone talking about balance. I have always been all about balance. I like balance. Balance between the far left and the far right. Balance between work and play. Balance between thinking you are good for nothing and thinking that you are the best at everything. These things are what we call being well-adjusted and healthy people. Balance is what I strive for everyday.

Yet this person, and I honestly can not remember who it was that was saying this or where it was that I was talking to this person, was saying that when it comes to a relationship with God we are automatically unbalanced. When it comes to a life lived as a disciple we will never be able to achieve balance. This is because God is so much greater than we are. We are receiving so much more in this relationship than God is. By the very nature of what we are and who God is, the entire thing is out of balance. So we should seek a middle ground in life, a center place between extremes, but we should embrace the imbalance that comes from a life lived as a child of God.

I have been pondering this this morning because I am feeling so out of balance today. Shaky, insecure, and a little frightened. Therefore the balance that I seek for in my life on a daily basis, seems to be gone.

Yet in this shaky world that I am wondering around in today, I recognize that it is the unbalanced relationship that I have with God that is still keeping me centered. I may be out of balance. I may be leaning more heavily on God than on myself today. (Let's face it even though I love and trust God I still like to rely on me to get through life. Stubborn pride apparently has not been something I have been able to loose in my quest for balance.) I may even be a little lost in my own thoughts. However, because God is so much more than I am, it is He that keeps me upright, that keeps me able to find the center.

Today I am resting on the unbalanced relationship that I have with God to keep me grounded. Silly me for ever thinking that I was the one finding balance. Really, when will I learn that all things are indeed possible through God but it is because God gives the strength to do them, and that I have really no control over it.

Well, like I said, stubborn pride.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through God who strengthens me.

No comments:

Post a Comment